First off: great choice! Historic Newport attracts visitors from all corners of the globe year round—and for good reasons! From the stunning shoreline to the unparalleled sailing, from the three-and-a-half mile Cliff Walk to the gilded mansions, there’s something for everyone here! Those of us who are lucky enough to call Newport home want to share our top ten favorite things to do:
10. Audrain Automobile Museum— start your trip off right with a themed automobile exhibit; collections rotate every few months
9. Touro Synagogue— if you’re here on a Sunday, be sure to check out the oldest synagogue in the USA, complete with a high-tech visitors center
8. Newport Art Museum— this old home-turned-museum has an incredible history and art collection, as well as great classes and free events every month
7. Fort Adams State Park— stunning view of the bay and harbor, along with a history lesson; Newport’s Folk and Jazz Festivals draw thousands here every summer. Take a tour and go through the underground tunnels
6. Jane Pickens Theater— grab a unique cocktail and check out an indie or international film in this beautiful, grand, full -size theater
5. Ocean Drive— drive along the coast for gorgeous views and plenty of scenic photo opportunities. Considered one of the prettiest drives in the U.S.
4. The Breakers and Marble House— these gilded historical mansions capture the spirit of the roaring 20’s and provide a glimpse into life in old Newport
3. Shopping on Thames Street and Bellevue Avenue— fashionable and unique shops with splendid gifts to remember your trip by
2. Cliff Walk— three-and-a-half miles of ocean on one side and Newport mansions on the other… what more can you ask for?
1. Bowen’s Wharf— shameless plug: check out Sightsailing and enjoy Newport from the water!
For all your Newport needs, be sure to check out www.discovernewport.org for lodging, restaurant, shopping, and activity suggestions. Go to www.whatsupnewp.com for what’s happening and new in town.
The Sightsailing Team